Monday, August 8, 2011

Exploring Haiti - Sunday and Monday

Sunday: church, lunch, & tree of life
"your love is unending" and "there is more to come for this city" were the two lessons which stood out to me in our church service Sunday morning. The pastor knew exactly was the haitiAns need, love and hope. The service was so full we sat out back... But after several people walked out with wobbly legs from heat, I was happy to be in the cool breeze and shade. Those two lessons were perfect for me too... And gave me some mid trip inspiration.
We headed out for lunch at the caribean resort, apparently a un hotspot (more on my feelings about the un another day... Haiti don't you ruin my obsession now). We also spotted Sean penn and his son. He is the director of an post earthquake tent city... But must have a room in the resort. It was so strange to see such luxury just off the main roads of Port de prince.
For the afternoon we brought crayons and paper up to tree of life. The 25 children there are so loving and strong. Orphans with huge smiles on their faces who love to sing and play with you simply need a little attention and a few smuggles. The medical teAm who arrived today will visit with us wednesday to check them out. Many have scabbies or other infections.

Monday:
today began with an hour drive out to luly to survey with the interns. It was so awesome to see them at work with the families. We heard about sanitation, education, and wishes of the community. This village does not get many visitors so the children all call out "blah" or white person when we pass... We were even scary to some babies. I observed some interviews, played with children, and helped Derek measure and weigh all kids in the homes under 6. I had tons of girls want to touch my hair... They were so interested in it's color and texture... Even the women were curious. For the afternoon Alex, Damon and I headed to waho bay to see the ocean and do alittle tourist shopping. We had a delicious Haitian seafood lunch and went snorkling. I am sleepy from being in the sun all day but it certainly was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment