Friday, April 5, 2013

The First 6 Months!

Adventures, Friends, and Lots of Learning in the DR...

Loma, a Caminante short term volunteer and my roommate for my first month.
In October, we visited Las Terrenas, Samana Peninsula with
Caminante Psychologist, Julissa. 
I became a "Chica Brilliante" and help celebrate several birthdays!
Co-led three groups of energetic pre-teens through the
Desportes Para La Vida Curriculum.
Lots of laughter was always to be had!
Started teaching my English Classes. This one room community
 center in Los Cocos is home to daily activities for children and adults.
Here the students are learning the body parts!
A rogue fan started a fire in my apartment resulting in lots of cleaning,
several gallons of paint, and several days of hard work! 
December was filled with Graduations for many of Caminante's programs.
In this photo, adolescent students receive certificates for their participation in EPE an
entrepreneurship program for empowerment and practical skills training.
December also meant LOTS of Christmas parties, present giving, and great food!
Julito, Diana, and Denisse present one of the Ninos Trabajadores with a gift of new clothes.
I spent Christmas Day in Villa Altagracia in the Mountains north of Santo Domingo.
The trip also included a swim in a fresh water mountain river 
In January and February I visited Cabarete, the new home to my good
friend Julissa in her new job at DREAM Project.
I was very lucky to meet some amazing people and participate in the first GIVE.SWEAT weekend at Hotel Zapata. The event concluded with a martial arts session and delicious BBQ on the beach with Caminante kids. Looking forward to GIVE.SWEAT.2 this month!
In Februrary, Jim Moos and Felix Ortiz visited the Dominican Republic. I had the pleasure of traveling with them to the partners in the DR and Haiti. Here Jim and I pose with
Jeanette (in white), 3 professors, and several students of CONASPEH. 
I turned 23 with lots of friends and my Dominican family by my side!
My parents and sister, Torrie made the journey to the beach for their Spring Break!
It was Torrie's first experience outside of the US and she was awesome. 
While in the DR, my parents hosted a dinner for the staff of Caminante featuring
"Dios hable todavia" (God is still speaking) shirts from Zion UCC in Marion. 
For Easter, I traveled to the eastern side of the island to play tourist and enjoy a new beach.
Despite the rain and cold, it was a wonderful, beautiful, and relaxing trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment