Saturday, August 3, 2013

IED Women's Retreat

I came to the Dominican Republic for many reasons, one of the most important being "for the experiences." Global Ministries bases its partnerships on accompaniment... this philosophy allows for bilateral growth and sharing of backgrounds, challenges, expertises, and experiences. Earlier this year I was invited to participate in several summer camps of the Iglesia Evangelica Dominicana (IED - Evangelical Churches of the Dominican), last weekend I was able to attend the first of these sessions with the Women's Association. 

Morning Bible Study - Staying cool under the mango trees!

In the days leading up to the retreat I was overwhelmed with mixed feelings, I was excited to see what would happen but also very nervous to be far away from Boca Chica and know only a small handful of the women participating. My nerves were not helped by the fact that I did not know how I would actually get to the camp, located in Bani about 2.5 hours from Boca Chica. Wednesday afternoon I finally found a ride to the camp with the Secretary Executive of the denomination and my good friend Kelvin, Reverend Cancu's driver and personal assistant. I also had the pleasure of meeting IED's new missionary from Global Ministries of the Methodist Church!

Morning Bible Study & Drama - Jesus and his disciples with the leper woman

When we arrived, Thursday afternoon, I realized how important this event was to the women of the church, they had come from all over the country, and despite Caribbean time, most had arrived early to help set up, socialize, and get the best purchases in the bazaar.  Everyone was so excited to meet me and my church ladies (and Kelvin) had made sure that I would be well taken care of. I was even given one of the best beds (a sturdy twin with a nice mattress compared to the flimsy metal bunks most stayed in)... I tried to trade beds with every woman in the room and ended up succeeding the next night and trading my luxury bed for a mat on the floor. The love and care continued throughout the weekend... I was personally summoned many times to discuss my life, my work in Boca Chica, and of course asked if I had eaten by no less than 3 people after every meal. On Friday afternoon I was joined by my friend and coworker, Olga. I was very glad to have someone to debrief with on the journey home on the bus, unfortunately there was no special car to take me home...

The IED church I attend is very modern, open, and inclusive, which is one of the reasons why I love going there so much. When I first arrived I attended another church where I was asked if I was a Christian and felt very disheartened by the fact that in Dominican culture only a certain denomination of Christians are called "Christians." At the conference I found that some IED churches still uphold many of the more conservative Evangelical traditions, but was hopeful at the number of young, open minded, and modern women who are working to develop the church and continue to introduce new members. Many, including Pastor Cancu's wife, even spoke out for their rights as educated and independent women during a charla (workshop) on the family. The presenter, who was male, unfortunately spoke from a very machismo, male dominated understanding of the bible. After some amazing female led bible studies it was very disappointing to listen to a male, who was a psychologist, speak in such an oppressive way to a room full of joyful wives, mothers, grandmothers, aunts, and daughters. My heart was filled though as many of these women stood up and intelligently debated with him, even after he distastefully had the nerve to say that one woman was not a Christian because she was not following "God's word" (which he further stated he was teaching). One woman had the bravery to debate with him that yes, speaking from her experience, it was a woman's right to leave an unhealthy and abusive marriage. It should be noted that there were many woman who loved every word and "amen'd" his many demeaning lessons... I hope they continue to discuss amongst the association and help these women understand that a Christian wife and mother does not define an oppressed woman.  I feared this man's "teachings" because I felt they easily justified husbands to verbally, physically, and sexually abuse their wives. While the charla presenter was a dud, the overall cultural trends of the church I heard were hopeful. Two other formal charlas were given on health and personal finance, both were given by male speakers. In the future I hope that the IED Women's Association will first, seriously consider only using women as charla speakers and second, well research the presenters before inviting them to speak. 

Singing and Dancing in the Evenings

While I loved getting to know the younger women of the churches, I was fascinated at some of the rituals of the older generations. Worshiping at IED Villa Duarte on Sundays is a 3 hour affair, but wow, these church ladies love to be "well churched." For many of the older woman, the day started at 5 am out on the lawn with a prayer circle. I took time to watch each morning and they participated in a ritual that is, I believe, unique to the camp weekend. The woman stand in a large circle with some woman in the middle, possibly leading prayers. But each woman prays individually, most out loud. Several of the female pastors and other leaders went from person to person praying with them. Most women were still or slightly rocking but a few shook and danced. Many woman seemed to shake and flail when someone was praying with them. At times women would shout out or wail and the group often broke out into song together. The second morning, the prayer circle seemed to have more healing. Several people were touching and massaging different parts of the women's bodies like arm, knees, feet, and backs. The ailed women were mostly sitting on benches in the center of the circle. While it looked and sounded at times like a revival, the feeling that the dramatic praying was for attention or show was not present, unlike revivals on television or even the ones I have witnessed on the streets in the Dominican. The women seemed to be truly moved by the prayers and the energy in the circle, maybe even just the joy of being united with the other women. After breakfast was a morning worship and bible study, which all were very enlightening and led by different church groups. My congregation led one morning and I was honored to participate in the drama and play a young Mother Mary. The day was filled with charlas, crafts, and socializing, and in the evening a music and dancing worship time. 

Trudi teaching us how to make hand baskets.

There were certainly times when I felt out of place and intruding on a very sacred time for the woman, there were others when I felt right at home... enjoying the calm camp grounds, participating in the craft, chatting with the woman. The style of praise enjoyed by the woman, and many people in the Dominican Republic, would put most American Christians outside of their comfort zone, I was so intrigued to have been able to put myself into a new experience and learn more about myself and my faith as I traveled through this spiritual weekend with the women and the church. The retreat theme was "transformation on the mountain," and a transformational and rejuvenating experience it was, for all.  I was invited to many different areas around the country to visit people's homes and churches and I sincerely hope I can fulfill some of those heartfelt invitations in the coming months. The few days spent with these faithful women, outside of my comfort zone, and with God's people reminded me just what I was called to do, accompany  grow hand in hand with the people, and learn about myself, my God, and my journey. I will be headed back to Bani in the end of August to attend the young adult's retreat and look forward to a whole new population and sharing their faith experiences.





No comments:

Post a Comment