Thursday, October 4, 2012

First Impressions

After only 3 days I have discovered that the people of Boca Chica, especially those connected to Caminante, are one large, yet tight knit, and very fun family. The staff has welcomed me in, tried to muddle through my Spanish, and introduced me to more people than I can even begin to try and remember all the names, relationships, and stories!

Sunset from my apartment porch.
Loma, my roommate and humble caretaker, has shown me how to wash dishes, stay healthy, find the best food, and how to get to the beach!


My role at Caminante for the next couple of weeks will be to try and witness the ministries they serve to Boca Chica. I have played board games with Julito's students, walked the beach with Donchy looking for any kids working, observed a class for mothers in a rule school with Lacosta, and visited a new partner school. As the weeks go on I will begin to focus my interests and work more closely with certain partners and students. But for now, I enjoy meeting the staff and community built around Caminante!

Teaching mothers about Healthy Family Life after school. 

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds amazing! I'm glad you made it there safely. The sunset from your apartment looks stunning and might I add just how jealous I am of your beach combing :) I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete